With the 31st January Self-assessment filing deadline just gone, HMRC have published their list of top excuses for late filing.
Each year, HMRC publish the ludicrous excuses from taxpayers who miss the deadline, seeking to appease the taxman and avoid penalties.
Last year’s top excuse of “my tax return was on my yacht, which caught on fire” proves that offenders need to continually up the ante.
Here is this year’s crop of tax return excuses:
- I couldn’t file my return on time as my wife has been seeing aliens and won’t let me enter the house.
- I’ve been far too busy touring the country with my one-man play.
- My ex-wife left my tax return upstairs, but I suffer from vertigo and can’t go upstairs to retrieve it.
- My business doesn’t really do anything.
- I spilt coffee on it.
For your further enjoyment, HMRC this year also released the most questionable expense claims passed to them as follows:
- A three-piece suite for my partner to sit on when I’m doing my accounts.
- Birthday drinks at a Glasgow nightclub.
- Vet fees for a rabbit.
- Hotel room service – for candles and Prosecco.
- £4.50 for sausage and chips meal expenses for 250 days.
Please note: This article is a commentary on general principles and should not be interpreted as advice for your specific situation.