In order to setup your Xero for Making Tax Digital, first you need to register for Making Tax Digital (MTD) via the HMRC website.
When you have registered, you can connect your Xero software by completing the following steps:
- Log in to Xero
- Click Accounting, then select VAT Return
- Read the information about MTD for VAT, then click Set up MTD for VAT in Xero
- Read the information about MTD for VAT with Xero, then click Connect to HMRC
- Read the information about allowing authority to interact with HMRC on your behalf, then click Continue
- Enter your Government Gateway User ID and Password, then click Sign in
- Read the HMRC authority information, then click Grant Authority
Once access is granted, you will see your new VAT dashboard in Xero and you are ready to go!
Please note these instructions relate only to those using Xero. The connection process may differ for other software packages.
Green & Co are Xero Platinum partners, which means we’re experienced in providing training and support to our clients and we have access to greater discounts.
If you would like to speak with one of our team, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Please note: This article is a commentary on general principles and should not be interpreted as advice for your specific situation.