After you have signed up for Making Tax Digital (MTD) via the HMRC website, you will need to connect your Xero software as follows:
- Log in to Xero
- Click Accounting, then select VAT Return
- Read the information about MTD for VAT, then click Set up MTD for VAT in Xero
- Read the information about MTD for VAT with Xero, then click Connect to HMRC
- Read the information about allowing authority to interact with HMRC on your behalf, then click Continue
- Enter your Government Gateway User ID and Password, then click Sign in
- Read the HMRC authority information, then click Grant Authority
Once access is granted, you will see your new VAT dashboard in Xero and you are ready to go!
Please note these instructions relate only to those using Xero. The connection process may differ for other software packages.
Please note: This article is a commentary on general principles and should not be interpreted as advice for your specific situation.